Wednesday 8 April 2015

Vegan Stroganoff



Happy Spring! Although Stroganoff is generally seen as a hearty winter dish, this take on the meal gives it loads of flavour and using coconut cream instead of cow's cream makes it much lighter.

I attempted veganism throughout February and March. I found that if you are organised and know the right places to go, then it's super easy - most of the meals that I make at home are vegan anyway! But I came to the conclusion that I won't be going that strict with my diet, I'm just going to avoid dairy where I can; I love almond milk and vegan chocolate anyway!

So this recipe is totally vegan - enjoy!


Serves 2, Takes about 30 minutes.

Ingredients
  • 500g any kind of mushrooms
  • 1 courgette
  • 1 onion
  • 1 large clove of garlic
  • 1 handful of baby spinach (if you are using frozen, allow longer to cook)
  • 1 handful of flat leaf parsley
  • 1 tsp vegetable bouillon/powdered stock
  • 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 100ml coconut cream
  • 1 cup wholegrain rice to serve
Method
  • Firstly, bring the rice up to the boil, as this takes about 25 minutes to cook through.
  • Next, finely chop the onion and garlic, and fry in a pan for a couple of minutes in a drop of olive oil.
  • Thinly slice the courgette, and roughly chop the mushrooms, and add to the pan.
  • Once all the vegetables begin to brown, add the wholegrain mustard, bouillon and a splash of water. If the ingredients start to look dry, mix in a bit more water.
  • Next, add the coconut milk, spinach and parsley, and stir.
  • When the spinach had wilted, turn off the heat.
  • Serve on top of brown rice and top with a pinch of parsley to garnish.




No comments:

Post a Comment