Tuesday 21 April 2015

Aubergine 'Meat' Balls


Hello! I hope everyone is having a great April. I went to London this week to see Matilda the Musical (which was AMAZING), and while we were there I dragged my mum and sister to a restaurant moments away from Oxford Circus called 'Ethos', which I had heard a lot about, and it did not disappoint. It was a vegan and vegetarian buffet restaurant where you pay for your food by its weight, which I think is a fab idea. It was full of super healthy amazing salads, Moroccan veg stews, courgette and feta cakes, their famous veggie scotch egg AND aubergine 'meat' balls, which were incredible. So I thought I would give them a try!

With aubergines being about 75p, this is a perfect recipe for if you're looking after your pennies. Just one medium sized aubergine made 12 balls! They didn't come out exactly like the ones in Ethos, but they were good enough for me! I am thinking next time I make them I will add some quinoa for some added texture and protein.

DISCLAIMER: This recipe does require a food processor. Annoying I know. I suppose if you cooked it a little longer you could mash the mixture with a potato masher? 

Anyway here it is, let me know what you think!


Takes about 30 minutes. Makes 12 balls.

Ingredients
  • 1 medium sized aubergine
  • 1 onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • dash of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 handful fresh basil
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 dried oregano
  • 50g plain flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method
  • Start by finely chopping your onion, garlic and roughly chop the aubergine.
  • Fry these in some extra virgin olive oil until browned. 
  • Add the oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and cook for a further 5 minutes. If the mixture starts to look dry, add a splash of water.
  • Turn off the heat, mix in the fresh basil, then blitz in a food processor for 1 minute, or until the lumps are reduced significantly.
  • Then add the ground almonds bit by bit, until the mixture is thick enough to make into balls.
  • Form the 12 balls with your hands, then roll them in the plain flour.
  • Finally, fry the formed balls in a shallow pan in some olive oil until browned.
  • I served mine with a simple tomato sauce, wholewheat pasta and fresh basil!






No comments:

Post a Comment